Wednesday, September 10, 2008

9/9/08 BOT RIDE

Well another great Botanical Gardens Ride yesterday. Brad, Matt, Brian, Greg and myself left a few minutes before the big group. We made it all the way to Hwy 78/Old Leeds Rd intersection before they caught us. Brad, Greg, Brian and Matt were 1/2 mile or so ahead of me at that point. I grabbed onto the back of that group for a minute but fell off. I didn't see the other guys until we got to the cars. I did have another guy draft with me on Old Leeds and we were up to 25-27 mph at times. Basically it was 20.5 miles with an average speed of 15 mph. Top speed of 38.5 mph. If I can get stronger on the hills, I should really be able to cut some time. Maybe some day.


I have to say I agree with Matt...Probably only do the 18 mile out and back from now on on Tuesday. It is getting way too dark on Old Leeds Road after 6 o'clock. Hey Brian "Was it too dark to see that turn you missed?" LOL.


On yet another positive note, I weighed this morning and I am down a total of 18 lbs.

5 comments:

Neal said...

Good job dude! Keep it up!

j2d said...

Good job on the weight loss!

Greg Cherry said...

Dude! Good job! 1st of all, climbing is the key to cycling. Breath deep and steady and find a gear that you feel comfortable in. Count each pedal stroke while you are climbing. This helps take your mind off the pain. Focus a few feet in front of you and let your goal be every 10 feet or so. When your legs burn too much, back off just a bit and let them recover, then go again. You'll find with time, it get's easier. And last but not least....you can't improve your free throws if you don't practice free throws. Point being....you gotta practice climbing to improve. I'm 234 lbs and have improved my climbing skills over the years. Obviously still not up with the small power tappers, but still ok. Keep it up!

MTBROWN said...

Been doing that counting thing since I started and it definitely works. Thanks for the tips and the support.

Unknown said...

I wish I could blame my misdirection on the darkness. I was soo tired trying to keep up with Cherry that fatigue clouded my mind (more than normal) and missed the turn.